corkbeg afc

Corkbeg’s U18’s got their first three points of the season with a hard fought win over Watergrasshill on a wet and miserable Tuesday night in Whitegate.

Corkbeg started brilliantly and were two nil up within five minutes. The first goal came through Conor O Brien; Conor tucked the ball away fantastically after just two minutes. Three minutes later and the Beg doubled their lead, with Sam Murphy taking his chance very well, after good build up from Jay Wilson. Corkbeg dominated for the next ten minutes and should’ve extended their lead on multiple occasions with Josh Murray, Sam Murphy & Josh Leahy all going close.

On twenty five minutes, Watergrasshill got a foot back in the game, after good work from Watergrasshill’s number 8 and his through ball found number 9; his two efforts were saved by John Mannin, however his third effort squirmed under the Corkbeg goalkeeper. On the stroke of half time, Corkbeg were dealt a huge blow as Watergrasshill equalized through a set piece that dropped short to the edge of the box, where a half volley was driven in to the top corner. Two a piece at the break.

Corkbeg started the better of the two teams after the interval with Killian O Driscoll and Cian Keohane forming a deadly partnership in midfield and with Killian O Driscoll doing very well in his new role. Although the Beg were on top, Watergrasshill were a threat on the break, but Jay Wilson, Reece Tynan, Christophe Riff & Cian Maguire were all outstanding when called upon. On sixty minutes Watergrasshill took the lead after a long throw got into the box, the Watergrasshill man crossed the ball, it slipped through the keepers hands and unfortunately it fell kindly to the Watergrasshill man, who made no mistake in finishing into the empty goal.

Corkbeg reacted well to this goal and within seven minutes were level again, with Christophe Riff rising highest to head home Cian Keohane’s corner. A Corkbeg substitute saw Josh Murray make way for Daniel Murray. Daniel got straight into the game and his height proved to be a threat from long balls from kickouts or set pieces. Unfortunately a long ball of Watergrasshill’s own travelled all the way through midfield and into the 18-yard box, where the Watergrasshill striker rose above John Manning to head home to see the opposition retake the lead at 4-3.

Eight minutes later and Corkbeg were level again from a direct goal from a corner from Corkbeg’s Number 7 Cian Keohane. Corkbeg pushed on from here and in the final minute were rewarded for all their hard work as a great through ball put Killian O Driscoll (pictured) one on one with the keeper, he made no mistake and slotted the ball past the onrushing keeper to send the home crowd into celebration. Full time and the Beg won 5-4 and deservedly so, after a great team performance on a wet evening.

Corkbeg’s Team: John Manning, Cian Maguire, Reece Tynan, Christophe Riff, Jay Wilson, Conor o Brien, Cian Keohane, Killian O Driscoll, Josh Leahy, Sam Murphy , Josh Murray.

Corkbeg’s Subs: Daniel Murray coming on for Josh Murray.

Like this article?

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Linkdin
Share on Pinterest

Leave a comment