Corkbeg Win Opening League Game

Corkbeg 6 Waterloo 2
Corkbeg welcomed Waterloo to Whitegate on Saturday afternoon, to commence their 21/22 AUL Premier A campaign, after having last weeks game not played. Having been defeated by Waterloo in the Mossie Linnane Cup in late July, the Beg were eager to get the 3 points.
Corkbeg started well from the get-go and began to dominate the game. The deadlock was broken after ten minutes as Corkbeg had the lead through Jordan Tynan, who curled his free kick around the wall and into the bottom corner.
Soon after, Alan Hogan and Kevin O Hanlon went close, but they were denied by the away sides keeper on both occasions. A few minutes later, Kevin O Hanlon had a tremendous effort that rattled the crossbar and looked to have crossed the line, but the referee waved play away, as the away side launched an attack.
Waterloo equalised after a good spell of sustained pressure, when their corner was met by the head of their oncoming player who headed home, despite the best efforts of John Manning & Dylan Casey.
Corkbeg looked to regain their lead and they nearly did so, as good play from Jack Farmer in midfield won the ball back, he played it forward to Kevin O Hanlon, who rifled the ball off the outside of the post and wide for a goal kick.
The Beg did, however, retake the lead when Jordan Ryan squared the ball across the six-yard box, where Tariq Tynan turned home to give the beg a one goal advantage after 25 minutes.
Corkbeg, again, took control of the game, as they went in search of a third. Shane Bennett’s ball was picked up by Alan Hogan, who beat his own man before forcing the Waterloo keeper into a smart stop to keep the one goal difference. It remained 2-1 as the referee blew for half-time.
Corkbeg got a third goal almost instantly after the re-start, as good battling in the middle by Tariq regained possession and Corkbeg then turned into prime Barcelona, with a number of passes, which eventually found the ball back with Tariq, who played a brilliant through ball to Kevin O Hanlon (pictured), who made no mistake in finishing, to give Corkbeg a two goal lead.
A few moments later, it was 4-1. A long John Manning ball found Alan Hogan in space, who played Kevin through and once again, he found the back of the net.
Ten minutes later, Corkbeg added a fifth. Some great defending originally by Colin & Stevie broke up Waterloo’s attack and the ball fell to Jack Farmers feet, where he then found Jordan Ryan, who took one touch to get the ball out of his feet and then he drove home a screamer into the top corner from 25 yards out.
Waterloo looked to get back into the game and they would’ve done so, but only for some last-ditch defending by Stevie Hal to retain the 4 goal advantage. They did, however, get a glimmer of hope, when a through ball found their striker, who cooly dispatched beyond John.
With only a few minutes remaining, Corkbeg did well to hold onto the ball and work chances where possible. Alan Hogan had an effort well saved by the Waterloo keeper at his near post. However, Alan did get on the scoresheet, as a ball over the top found Alan in acres of space and he nestled the back of the net to put the game to bed.
It finished 6-2 to Corkbeg, who can be very happy with their performance today.
CORKBEG XI: John Manning, Jordan Tynan, Colin Horgan, Stephen O Halloran, Dylan Casey, Jordan Ryan, Shane Bennett, Jack Farmer, Alan Hogan, Tariq Tynan, Kevin O Hanlon
SUBSTITUTES: Dylan O Neill for Dylan Casey (60), Josh Leahy for Kevin O Hanlon (75), Killian O Driscoll for Jordan Ryan(75) & Karl Ryan for Tariq Tynan (85)
May be an image of 2 people, people playing sport, people standing and grass

Like this article?

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Linkdin
Share on Pinterest

Leave a comment