Corkbeg Win First Game of 2022

Having not played since mid-December, Corkbeg welcomed Castleview to Whitegate on a blustery Saturday afternoon for a fierce encounter.
Corkbeg started the better of the two sides, and after just 1 minute, Corkbeg created their first opportunity, with Jordan Ryan having a header drift wide of the goal. A few minutes later, it was Jordan again involved, as he had a deflected effort well saved by the Castleview goalkeeper Ryan McCarthy. From the resulting corner, Kevin O Hanlon had his effort narrowly miss the target, as Corkbeg looked for the opener.
The away side created an opportunity themselves, as they headed just over the crossbar from a corner. Despite this, Corkbeg remained in control for the opening quarter of an hour. In the 20th minute, Corkbeg opened the scoring. Some initial good work in the middle of the park saw Corkbeg regain possession, then a superb pass found the ball at Shane Bennett’s feet in the box, who then squared it to Kevin O Hanlon, who made no mistake in tapping home.
Just 5 minutes later, it would’ve been 2-0, but for a tremendous save by McCarthy, who brilliantly denied Tariq Tynan’s effort from just 7 yards out. Soon after, McCarthy left the field of play due to injury. Half an hour in, and the away side almost levelled things up, as they had a glancing header rebound off the post.
Corkbeg went up the other end and made it two nil, with Kevin O Hanlon poking the ball beyond the oncoming keeper, following a great through ball. A minute later, an Alan Horgan cross was bundled over the line by Tariq Tynan at the back post to make it 3-0 to The Beg.
From kick-off, Castleview launched an attack, and from this attack they were awarded a penalty, after their winger was brought down inside the 18-yard box. Up stepped former Corkbeg player Danny O Donoghue, but he had his spot kick excellently saved by Gerry Noonan in the Corkbeg goal. However, they did get a goal back just 5 minutes later, when lively striker Evan Burke lobbed the ball over the onrushing Corkbeg keeper into the empty net. It was 3-1 at half-time.
Corkbeg started the second half with intent, and Jack Farmer had a brilliant free-kick narrowly miss the target on the hour mark, as the Beg looked to put the game to bed. A few minutes later, an incredible bit of skill by Shane Bennett saw him flick the ball through the oncoming defender’s legs as he broke into the box, however his effort was well saved by the substitute keeper, Jason Kelly.
In the 70th minute, Corkbeg made it 4-1, as Jordan Ryan curled a super free-kick into the top corner, from a very tight angle. A couple of moments later, the game was well and truly put to bed. A swift Corkbeg counterattack got the ball up the field to Tariq, who took the ball out of his feet, and saw Max on the overlap, who then received the ball from Tariq and buried his effort to make it 5-1.
Corkbeg saw the rest of the game out, with Castleview having no real clearcut chance, as such, which was down to the good defensive work of Colin Horgan, Stephen O Halloran, Chris Smith and Dylan Casey. It ended 5-1 to Corkbeg. A strong second-half performance, saw the Whitegate men take all 3 points.
Corkbeg: G Noonan, D Casey, S O Halloran, C Smith, A Horgan, A Hogan, S Bennett, J Farmer, J Ryan, T Tynan, K O Hanlon
Substitutions: C Horgan for A Horgan (50), M Ahern for K O Hanlon (65), K O Driscoll for J Ryan (70), G Kelly for T Tynan, D Hickman for D Casey (80)

Like this article?

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Linkdin
Share on Pinterest

Leave a comment