Corkbeg FC

Weary Corkbeg Run Out Of Steam In C.I.T.

Eric Higgins saved a penalty and was Corkbegs man of the match

Corkbeg were beaten 3-1 by City Wanderers in AULDiv2A on Friday evening in C.I.T. Wanderers were worthy winners on the evening, as two tough games in the space of 4 days ultimately proved too much for Corkbeg.


Wanderers passed the ball very well early on and had the upper hand in the opening exchanges. Eric Marah stung the hands of Corkbeg goalkeeper Eric Higgins after only 5 minutes, as his shot from 25 yards was pushed over the crossbar. Higgins saved well from Marah again soon afterwards and was quick to the rebound to deny Ian Manning. And defender Shane Finn was inches away from getting on the end of an inswinging Marah delivery. Although under a bit of pressure, Corkbeg were working hard, with Dylan O Neill looking impressive and Stephen O Halloran, Alan Horgan & Tommy Smyth heavily involved. And Corkbeg weathered the early pressure, to take the lead after 25 minutes. Alan Horgan played a great ball through to Dylan O Neill and he took the ball past two defenders to slot the ball past Tom Maguire in the Wanderers goal for a 1-0 lead.


The goal gave Corkbeg a lift for the next ten minutes and Fred Wenham turned well in the box only to shoot straight at Maguire. But gradually, the city side worked their way back into the game and two mniutes before half time, they drew level. Eric Higgins produced a marvellous one handed save to deny Eric Marahs goalbound shot from 18 yards and was quick to turn away a point blank follow-up from 10 yards, but luck wasn’t with the goalkeeper on the third occasion and Danny Whittington smashed the ball into the net from 12 yards to make it 1-1 at half time.


Corkbeg might have retaken the lead at the beginning of the second half, when Fred Wenhams dummy from Jordan Ryans through ball found Dylan O Neill bearing down on goal, but he lifted his shot too high and it cleared the crossbar. And Stephen O Hallorans lob following a poor Wanderers clearance also cleared the crossbar. But the more that the game went on, the wearier Corkbeg got, as last Tuesdays game in Fairfield caught up with them and Wanderers took control of the game. Eric Marah had more of an influence in the game and Declan O Donoghue was instrumental in driving them on. They took their first good opportunity of the second half, with twenty minutes remaining, when Wesley Tong had his close range shot well saved by Eric Higgins, but Marah turned home the rebound from a yard to give Wanderers the lead.


It was Wanderers who looked the more likely to increase their lead after this, but more often than not their final ball was poor and the Corkbeg offside trap was working well. Corkbeg had a half chance with ten minutes remaining, when substitute Rob Fletcher got in behind the defence, but the ball wouldn’t sit for him and Wanderers cleared. Wanderers finally put the game to bed with a minute left, when substitute Karlo Brisevac volleyed high to the roof of the Corkbeg net from 10 yards to make it 3-1 and give the scoreline a more realistic look. There was still time for Higgins to produce a brilliant triple save from three close range shots and in the dying embers of the game, he saved the best for last, firstly by turning away Ian Mannings penalty kick and then producing the save of the game from the follow-up; brilliantly saving from Eric Marahs volley from only 8 yards out.


Corkbeg: E. Higgins, M. Collins, T. Smyth, I. Casey, C. Horgan, S. O Halloran, D. O Neill, A. Horgan, C. O Driscoll, J. Ryan, F. Wenham. Subs: D. Casey for O Driscoll(45mins), O. Mombo for Wenham(75mins), R. Fletcher for O Halloran(80mins)


City Wanderers: T. Maguire, J. Coulson, B. O Leary, S. Finn, D. O Donoghue, F.O Leary, D. Peyton, W. Tong, I. Manning, E. Marah, D. Whittington. Subs: K. Brisevac, J. McCleverty, L. O Donoghue, D. Reardon