Corkbeg FC

Vital Three Points For Corkbeg

The Corkbeg panel v Knockraha

In AULDiv1A, Corkbeg had a hard fought 1-0 win over East Cork rivals Knockraha ‘A’ on an overcast Saturday afternoon in Whitegate. It wasn’t a pretty game to watch but, Corkbeg just about shaded the contest after a tough 90 minutes.


Corkbeg were the better side early on and had a lot of possession in the Knockraha half, with Jordan Tynan, Ryan Forde, Shane Bennett & Rob Fletcher all heavily involved. But it was the away side that came closest to scoring in the opening quarter, when Martin Buckley cracked a stunning 30 yard strike against the Corkbeg crossbar. Ray O Connor also drove into the side-netting when well placed. But, generally chances were few & far between, with a lot of Corkbegs good attacking play, being left down by the final ball. Towards the end of the half, Corkbeg did create two good openings. First, Ryan Forde got the better of Knockrahas Michael Murphy but crashed his shot against the goalkeepers legs and then, Shane Bennett worked an opening on the edge of the area, but his shot was comfortably gathered.


The second half continued in a similar vein, with Corkbeg always looking to keep Knockraha on the back foot and the away side were happy to soak up the pressure and play quickly on the counter attack. Shane Bennett was always dangerous for Corkbeg, but on a number of occasions, he failed to get shots away when well placed, while Jordan Tynan fired over the crossbar from the edge of the area after a good passing move with Bennett, Rob Fletcher & Ryan Forde. Eventually on 65 minutes, Corkbeg finally went ahead. Jordan Ryan turned well in the Knockraha penalty area and fired a low shot that squirmed through the Knockraha goalkeepers grasp and over the line for a 1-0 lead.


Knockraha responded immediately and inspired by good play from Stephen Aherne & Martin Buckley, they almost equalised straight away, but Ray O Connors goal was ruled out for offside. Tom Smyth & Dylan O Neill were in good form for Corkbeg at the back, but Knockraha were suddenly inspired and took a bit of stopping. Ray O Connor  got through on goal on 75 minutes, but Corkbeg goalkeeper Eric Higgins, was quickly out to take the ball off his toes and was quickest to the rebound to stop O Connor from finishing the loose ball. Then, a huge chance for Knockraha with ten minutes left, as Martin Buckley was left unmarked at the back post, but his mis-hit shot was easily saved by Eric Higgins.


But Corkbeg were still dangerous and Ryan Forde twice went close. First, he drew a good save from the Knockraha goalkeeper as he shot across goal and then drove a rising shot wide of the target. The final chance fell to Knockraha though and again, it was Ray O Connor who got on the end of Buckleys header to head over the crossbar from 6 yards, as Corkbeg grabbed the three points by the skin of their teeth.