Corkbeg FC

Two Wins From Two Games For Corkbeg

Alan Hogan grabbed a hat-trick against Springfield

Corkbeg made it two wins from two games with a well deserved 4-1 win over local rivals Springfield in Whitegate on Tuesday evening. On a superb surface for football, Corkbeg produced a performance full of passion & hard work to continue their great start to the season.


The game was only three minutes old, when a long ball from the back fell nicely for Alan Hogan and he lobbed the advancing goalkeeper to score his first goal for Corkbeg in only his second competitive game for the club. Springfield might have equalised a few minutes later, when a close range header went inches wide, when he really should have scored. But Corkbeg were the better team by a long way. Tariq Tynan & Alan Hogan put the Springfield defence under enormous pressure, while Robin Ward & Shane Bennett were dominant in midfield. Corkbeg doubled their lead on the half hour, when a glorious ball from Ward sent Alan Hogan steaming through on goal and he found the bottom corner for a 2-0 lead. Hogan & Tynan both went close soon afterwards, but their shots were blocked. There was a big scramble in the Corkbeg area towards the end of the half, but good defending by Stephen O Halloran & Tom Smyth ensured the Cobh side would not grab a goal before half time.


The second half was only 5 minutes old, when Corkbeg grabbed their third goal. Most players stopped, after a blatant foul on Alan Hogan, but a super advantage by referee Tony Thompson allowed Robin Ward pick up the ball and he drove a screamer to the bottom corner from 25 yards to extend Corkbegs lead. Aaron Berry had a close range free kick well saved soon afterwards, as Corkbeg threatened to run riot. On 70 minutes, a lifeline for the Cobh side, as slack marking saw their two substitutes combine to pull a goal back from 6 yards. However, an off-the-ball incident immediately after the goal, saw Springfield reduced to ten men. And two minutes later, the game ended as a contest, when Alan Hogan won a great ball at the edge of the Springfield area, beat two men and shot home from close range to make it 4-1 and grab his first hat-trick for Corkbeg. He nearly had his fourth before the end, when a brilliant turn on the edge of the area saw a goalbound shot well saved. A great result from a top class performance by Corkbeg on the night.


Team: E. Higgins, A. Horgan, A. Berry, T. Smyth, S. O Halloran, D. O Neill, S. Bennett, R. Ward, R. Forde, T. Tynan, A. Hogan. Subs: J. Tynan for Forde(45mins), J. Ryan for D. O Neill(50mins), D. O Mahony for  A. Hogan(80mins), D. Casey for A. Horgan(90 mins)