Corkbeg FC

Poor Result For Corkbeg in Opening Game

Jordan Ryan got Corkbegs goal

Jordan Ryan got Corkbegs goal

Corkbegs 1st season in AULDiv1A for many years, got off to a horrible start with a 4-1 home defeat to Glenthorn Celtic ‘B’ in Whitegate on Saturday afternoon. The scoreline does not reflect how close the game was on the day, but there is no doubt that Glenthorn, who won AULDiv2A last season, deserved their win.

Corkbeg started the game really well and dominated the opening twenty minutes. Jordan Ryan was lively and was a constant threat for Corkbeg and Shane Bennett shot wide of the target early on. There was no clear cut chances for the Beg though and they were caught with a huge sucker-punch on 18 minutes, as Glenthorn scored with their first real effort on goal. And it was a brilliant move: Niall Creamer broke up a Corkbeg attack and set Shane Duggan free on the right; his low cross was hammered first-time into the roof of the Corkbeg net by Colm Forde. Minutes later, Forde had a close range headed goal disallowed for a push, but he didn’t have to wait long for his second goal. On the half hour, a long through ball from the back found Forde, who lifted the ball over the advancing Eric Higgins for a 2-0 lead. It could have been three soon afterwards, when Colm Forde got in on goal again, but this time, Eric Higgins made a brilliant block to keep out his shot. Corkbeg were back in the game on 40 minutes, when Jordan Ryan was upended in the penalty area. He took the penalty himself, saw it well saved, but was quickest to the rebound to slot home to make it 2-1. But, on the stroke of half time, Glenthorn were awarded a penalty themselves and Jason Creamer crashed the ball home from the spot to restore Glenthorns two goal lead.

With Glenthorn holding a two goal lead, they were happy to sit on their lead. Corkbeg had a load of possession in the second half and kept the Ballyvolane side on the back foot. They were passing the ball better and playing the game in Glenthorns half, but crucially, it was still the City side that created the better chances. Shane Duggan, Jason Creamer and Colm Forde all had glorious chances in the second half to increase Glenthorns lead, but a combination of some good goalkeeping by Eric Higgins, a goal-line clearance by Marcin Aszyjczyk and some bad finishing meant that Corkbeg stayed in touch. Corkbeg almost pulled a goal back, when Glenthorns goalkeeper dropped a Jordan Ryan cross and a big scramble developed in the Glenthorn area; Dylan O Neill & Aidan Cotter both had efforts cleared with last ditch blocks. The keeper redeemed himself a few minutes later with a fine save to deny substitute Jordan Roberts and Aidan Cotter headed inches wide from Alan Horgans resulting centre. With two minutes remaining, Glenthorn put the icing on the cake, when Forde set up Jason Creamer to roll in number four and round of an impressive 4-1 win for the City side.

A bad result for the Beg, but some good football played at times today and some good performances. Luckily, there’s an opportunity to immediately put the result behind them on Tuesday night away to Knockraha ‘A’.

Team: E. Higgins, A. Horgan, T. Smyth, A. Cotter, D. O Driscoll, C. Horgan, D. O Neill, J. Ryan, S. O Halloran, M. Aszyjczyk, S, Bennett. Sub: J. Roberts for O Driscoll(45mins)