Corkbeg FC

Narrow Win For Corkbeg

Alan Horgan got Corkbegs winning goal

Alan Horgan got Corkbegs winning goal

Corkbeg had a narrow 1-0 win over Blackpool Celtic in AULDiv2A in Pophams Field on Sunday morning. It was a deserved victory for the Beg on the morning, despite travelling to the northside venue with a depleted squad.

It was a scrappy game from start to finish, on a surface not suited for flowing football and the teams were pretty well matched. Corkbeg had the better chances early on and both Dylan O Neill & Dylan Casey had efforts cleared off the line. Jordan Ryan also fired a spectacular effort from 30 yards inches over the Blackpool crossbar. Blackpool responded well to Corkbegs early pressure and a shot from 18 yards was saved & rebounded from the Corkbeg post. Though it was not a hugely windy morning, the wind was still a factor & many long clearances from the Blackpool defence kept Corkbeg on the back foot. But, it was Corkbeg who went close again shortly before half time, as Aidan Cotters well struck shot from 20 yards cannoned back off the Blackpool post.

Corkbeg were on the front foot from the beginning of the second half. Blackpool rarely threatened, with the Corkbeg defence in great form, particularly Fred Wenham who had a great game. The Beg forced a number of close range free kicks around the Blackpool area, but attempts from Ian Casey, Dean Keegan & Jordan Ryan were all poor. Then on the hour, Jordan Ryan had a glorious chance to give Corkbeg the lead, when he cantered through on goal, but Blackpool keeper Willie Matthews made a fine save to keep the game scoreless. Matthews also saved well from the resulting corner, as Dylan O Neills overhead kick looked destined for the roof of the net. The goal was coming though and with 20 minutes left, it finally arrived. Good work from Fred Wenham & Dylan Casey, sent Colin Horgan thundering into the area and his pull-back was met by his brother Alan, who fired home from 6 yards. Blackpool went close to an equaliser soon afterwards, when a glorious centre from their winger somehow failed to find a touch to grab an equaliser. However, it was Corkbeg who looked the more likely to increase their lead and both Dylan O Neill & Jordan Ryan had shots taken off the line. With 5 minutes left, Blackpool did create one final chance, when a long ball got their striker in behind the Corkbeg defence, but his volley from 20 yards clipped the crossbar on its way over and Corkbeg comfortably saw out the remaining time to grab an important 3 points.

Team: P. O Reilly, F. Wenham, T. Smyth, D. Keegan, C. Horgan, I. Casey, A. Cotter, J. Ryan, D. Casey, D. O Neill, A. Horgan. Sub: C. Fletcher for O Neill (80mins)