Corkbeg FC

Lacklustre Corkbeg Concede Four

The Corkbeg team beaten by Pearse Celtic

Corkbeg were beaten 4-0 by title challengers Pearse Celtic ‘B’ on a sunny Saturday afternoon in Whitegate. The final scoreline is a little harsh on Corkbeg, but Celtic were always the better side over the 90 minutes and deserved the three points.


The city side made a much brighter start than Corkbeg and were sharper, hungrier and quicker for the opening 25 minutes. They took an early lead too, when Keith McCarthy scored from the penalty spot after only 7 minutes. McCarthy thought he had grabbed a second on 15 minutes, when he turned in Eric Hayes goalbound shot, but he did so from an offside position. And on 25 minutes, McCarthy was in on goal again, but saw his lob come back of the top of the crossbar. That marked a turning point in the game, as Corkbeg started to match their opponents in work rate and effort and it was nip & tuck for the remainder of the half. They had a couple of half chances too. Ian Casey was inches away from getting on the end of a Jordan Ryan cross and Stephen O Halloran bent a 25 yard free kick against the post. There was also a couple of goalmouth scrambles that ultimately led to nothing.


Corkbeg continued to match Pearse Celtic at the beginning of the second half and forced a number of free kicks and corners in the Celtic half. As in the first half, Corkbeg had a couple of half chances; Jordan Ryans inswinging free kick was pushed away by Celtics goalkeeper and another shot from 25 yards was comfortably saved. And yet, it was still Pearse who looked the more likely to add to their tally, with McCarthy & Hayes both narrowly missing the target with shots and Dave O Connell heading over from close range. On 75 minutes, Pearse extended their lead when a long ball from the back was collected by Keith McCarthy and he slotted home his second goal. That goal completely knocked the wind out of Corkbegs sails, as the City side still kept their phenomenal work-rate going and sought to add to their tally. Hayes got the goal that his performance deserved when he combined with McCarthy to shoot into the bottom corner from the edge of the area on 85 minutes. And with almost the last kick of the game, the same two combined again, as Hayes set up McCarthy for his hat-trick goal from 6 yards.