Corkbeg FC

Corkbegs Good Form Continues v UCC

Dylan Casey got one of Corkbegs goals

Corkbeg had a great 5-1 win over UCC in AULDiv1A on Saturday afternoon in Whitegate. The win was no more than Corkbeg deserved following a marvellous second half performance against a side who were far better than the scoreline would suggest.
It was obvious from the beginning that there wouldn’t be too much long ball in this game, as both teams passed the ball really well. Corkbeg had the first chance of the game, when Dylan O Neills low cross somehow evaded everybody and Dylan Casey was denied by a brilliant block by a UCC defender. But UCC had the upper hand and kept the Beg on the back foot early-on and took the lead 10 mins in. A deep cross from the left was only half cleared and the UCC winger fired a low shot to the bottom corner with the aid of a huge deflection. But within 10 minutes, Corkbeg found themselves ahead. First, Colin Horgan drove a glorious shot to the roof of the UCC net from 25 yards after a corner was only partially cleared and two minutes later, Shane Bennett shot on goal was well saved by the UCC keeper, but fell nicely for Dylan Casey, who finished well. Both sides continued to play some brilliant football for the remainder of the half, with the students maybe shading the lions share of possession, but the Corkbeg goal was rarely threatened, with Ian Casey & Aidan Cotter particularly busy.
The rain came at the beginning of the second period, but Corkbeg raised their game considerably and played some sublime football at times. A third goal was almost added soon after, when a low cross was shanked against his own crossbar by a UCC defender, with the rebound somehow clearing the incoming Dylan Casey. The students were always dangerous on the break, but they never really created a clear opportunity in the second half. Instead, Corkbeg raised their game again, with Shane Bennett & Dylan Casey (pictured) in particular causing the UCC defence all sorts of problems and finally put the game to bed on 65 minutes, when Ian Casey rose highest in the UCC penalty area to glance home Stephen O Hallorans corner kick. With 15 minutes left, Alan Horgan was upended in the penalty area and substitute Jordan Ryan scored from the spot, despite being in bed until 2.20pm. Corkbeg could have added more to their total, with the UCC goalkeeper making fine saes to deny Dylan O Neill & Shane Bennett. But, Corkbeg got their fifth with five minutes left, when Tommy Smyths cross from the left was headed into his own net by a college defender.
Team: P. O Reilly, A. Horgan, T. Smyth, I. Casey, C. Horgan, S. O Halloran, A. Cotter, D. O Neill, D. Casey, F. Wenham, S. Bennett. Subs: J. Ryan for Wenham(45mins), R. Roberts for Cotter(75mins), J. Maguire