Corkbeg FC

Corkbeg Start The New Season On A High

Corkbeg’s Shane Bennett takes control as Central’s James Mullins puts the pressure on.

Shane Bennett was on target for the winner in the second half as Corkbeg got off to a successful start to their season with a 2-1 win over Central Rovers in league one at Central Park.

Although both sides had their chances, in the overall scheme of things, Corkbeg had the lion’s share of these opportunities and thoroughly deserved their victory in the end.

We saw some bright displays from the Beg with Shane Bennett making a big impression in midfield with Robin Ward while Ryan Forde, Tariq Tynan and Alan Hogan also impressing.

It was a lively approach from both sides as the start got on the way and within minutes, we saw the first real chance which fell to Corkbeg when Alan Hogan rifled over from a good position from Kyle Power’s headed clearance.

A looping pass then from Martin Lynch found Shane O’Sullivan, but a bobble near goal spoilt the opportunity for Central’s captain before Dilan O’Donovan rifled wide from 18 soon afterwards.

A loose clearance then followed when Steven O’Halloran failed to get distance on his clearance which allowed Shane O’Sullivan steal in to steer wide of the target.

But, a smart response from Corkbeg saw Alan Hogan setup Ryan Forde who beats Paul McCarthy – only to see his effort come back off the foot of the upright.

A good chance though fell for the home side when Dilan O’Donovan threaded a marvellous ball through for Kingston, but with only the keeper to beat, the Corkbeg net-minder got a touch to his effort which went out for a corner.

From the resultant corner, Dilan O’Donovan was on hand to hammer home the opener on 17 minutes.

The Beg responded promptly and when Shane Bennett lifted a terrific pass on for Ryan Forde, it took a top drawer intervention by Martin Lynch to save the day.

A superb passing move by the Beg then ensued with Ryan Ford laying it on for Tariq Tynan who found Alan Hogan to force Paul McCarthy to parry away, but only into the path of Darragh O’Mahoney who skewed wide from a very favourable position.

Another great chance fell for the Beg moments later when Steven O’Halloran’s free kick breaks for Shane Bennett, but the midfielder fired over with the goal at his mercy.

At the other end, Dilan O’Donovan’s through ball looked measured for Shane O’Sullivan, but a sharp Eric Higgins came off his line in the nick of time to avert the threat.

Then, just before the break, the Beg were accorded another great chance, but when O’Halloran’s delivery from a free kick found its way to the unmarked Bennett, he headed over.

The second period exploded into action with Corkbeg making a statement after scoring a terrific equaliser within two minutes.

Shane Bennett made an industrious run which saw him slalom past three opponents before forcing Paul McCarthy to save with his legs.

But, when the loose ball broke for Ryan Forde, he picked out Tariq Tynan to head home the equaliser with conviction.

The Beg kept their momentum going and it was Tynan once again who forced McCarthy into making a fine save and when the rebound arrived for Jordan Ryan, he drilled over.

But, it was that kind of game where the end to end trend resulted in opportunities being created for both sides and a neat move involving Central’s Paul Connolly when he played it inside for Dilan O’Donovan who teed up James Mullins for a good opportunity, saw the midfielder fire over from the edge of the box.

Play soon shifted to the other end where Tariq Tynan set Alan Hogan up to drill low and wide of the far post.

And when a careless kick-out by Eric Higgins reached Darren McCarthy, he fired over to waste a chance.

When play shifted once again to the other end, Shane Bennett beats the offside before firing in a low cross which saw Tariq Tynan slide in – only to see him miss making contact by just inches.

The Beg were having the upper hand now and after Tynan forces McCarthy to push out for a corner, the Central keeper was forced into action again to save from Ward – only to be eventually beaten by Shane Bennet who guides the rebound home for his side’s second which in the end proved to be a deserving winner for the East Cork side.

Referee: Michael O’Flaherty.

Central Rovers: Paul McCarthy, Martin Lynch, Keith Riordan, Craig O’Brien, Kyle Power, James Moynihan, Paul Connolly, James Mullins, Shane O’Sullivan, Dilan O’Donovan, Darren Kingston.

Subs: Darren McCarthy for Darren Kingston (32), Shane Conlon for Shane Bennett (35), James Burke for James Mullins (63), Eoin Feeney for Keith Riordan (75).

Corkbeg: Eric Higgins, Dylan O’Neill, Liam O’Brien, Tommy Smyth, Steven O’Halloran, Shane Bennett, Robin Ward, Darragh O’Mahoney, Ryan Forde, Tariq Tynan, Alan Hogan.

Subs: Paul Ryan for Darragh O’Mahony (55) Jordan Ryan for Ryan Forde (79).