Corkbeg FC

Corkbeg Squeeze Past UCC

Colin Horgan clears the ball under pressure from Ire Olditan of UCC

Corkbeg beat UCC by two goals to one at The Farm in AULDiv1A on a bitterly cold Saturday afternoon. In truth, it was a lucky win on the day, as Corkbeg produced their worst performance of the season so far, but still did enough to edge past the home side in freezing conditions.

Corkbeg actually started very well and only for a couple of disappointing final balls, they could have led early on. Shane Bennett and Dylan Casey were looking lively, but it was the students who took the lead against the run of play after 15 minutes. Ire Oladitan broke down the Corkbeg right and squared for Karl Sparrenberger, who fired past Eric Higgins from 10 yards. But, Corkbeg were level only two minutes later, when a glorious through ball from Jordan Ryan found Shane Bennett and as he bore down on goal, a tackle from UCC centre back SudMarrshan Nair ended up trickling into his own net. The goal lifted Corkbeg and soon afterwards, UCC goalkeeper Desmond Archer twice produced brilliant saves to deny Shane Bennett. But the remainder of the half belonged to the students, with Eric Higgins producing a brilliant save from Rory Kelly and UCC striker Ire Olditan missing a number of clear openings.

The second half continued like the first, with the game remaining to be a really scrappy affair and UCC continuing to benefit from poor Corkbeg passing. But Colin Horgan, Shane Bennett and Tommy Smyth all had big games for Corkbeg in the second period and were instrumental in grabbing the 3 points for Corkbeg. Ire Olditan continued missing the target from really decent openings for UCC, as the Corkbeg goal lived a charmed life at times. Eric Higgins was also instrumental in Corkbegs win and produced two great second half saves from Kelly and Sparrenberger. He then denied Michael Barry with a fingertip save onto the post. The games defining moment came with 15 minutes left, when Eric Higgins long clearance from the back found Jordan Ryan and he slipped the ball over the advancing Archer for what proved to be the winning goal. Dylan O Neill almost added a third for Corkbeg late on, but his chipped effort was comfortably saved by Archer. UCC continued to press for the equaliser in the remaining minutes, but some good defending kept them at bay, as Corkbeg grabbed a fortuitous three points.

Team: E. Higgins, F. Wenham, T. Smyth, C. Horgan, C. O Driscoll, S. Bennett, S. O Halloran, D. Casey, D. O Neill, D. O Driscoll, J. Ryan.