Corkbeg FC

Corkbeg Return To Winning Ways

Aidan Cotter scored Corkbegs first goal

Aidan Cotter scored Corkbegs first goal

Corkbeg returned to winning ways in AULDiv2A on Saturday afternoon, with a 4-0 win over Hillington in Whitegate. It was a typical end of season game, with no great intensity, sloppy passing & it almost had the feeling of a challenge game.

Corkbeg were quick into their stride and opened the scoring after only 5 minutes, when a corner from the right was allowed to bounce in the Hillington 6 yard area and Aidan Cotter was quickest to react to drive home a rising shot at the front post via the Hillington crossbar. But, it was a lethargic 1st half performance from the Beg and even though they currently prop up the Div2A table, Hillington made a game of it. Most of their efforts on goal were from long range, but they did have one glorious chance midway through the half, when a shot across goal should have been finished by the inrushing striker. Corkbeg made them pay for that miss on 35 minutes, when some good work by Alan Horgan and a lovely chipped ball to the far post, found Stephen O Halloran unmarked to head home number two. Dylan O Neill should have made it 3-0 before the end of the half after he sprung the offside trap, but his finish was straight at the Hillington goalkeeper Ed Shaw.

Corkbeg struck early in the second half to kill the game as a contest. Colin Horgan beat 4 players on a mazy run into the Hillington area, where he was upended. He took the penalty himself and scored to make it 3-0. And with 25 minutes remaining, some good work by Dylan O Neill & Robbie Roberts, set up Alan Horgan to rifle a terrific 25 yard screamer to the roof of the net to make it 4-0. The game petered out after this goal. Corkbeg could have added to the goal tally as Aidan Cotter & Robbie Roberts wasted good opportunities & Dean Keegan struck a post with a fine strike from the edge of the area. Hillington could have pulled a consolation goal back on 80 minutes, when they were awarded a penalty for a trip in the area, but the penalty struck a post & Corkbegs clean-sheet remained intact. After a poor game, the final whistle was a godsend to all in attendance.

Team: P. O Reilly, A. Horgan, J. Maguire, D. Keegan, C. Horgan, A. Cotter, S. O Halloran, J. Roberts, D. Casey, D. O Neill, M. Aszyjczyk. Subs: R. Roberts for M. Aszyjczyk(55mins), F. Ahern for O Neill(70mins), C. Fletcher for O Halloran(75mins)