Corkbeg FC

Corkbeg Lose Out In Seven Goal Thriller

Ian Casey scored a penalty for Corkbeg

Ian Casey scored a penalty for Corkbeg

Corkbeg were beaten 4-3 by AULDiv2A title rivals Glenthorn Celtic ‘B’ at St Aidans School, Ballyvolane on Sunday morning. It was a deserved win for the home side, who looked hungrier on the morning and will now be considered favourites for promotion ahead of Corkbeg. Corkbeg will be disappointed with their performance as they never got their passing game going at all.

The first half was fairly eventful. Corkbeg went ahead within the opening 5 minutes, when Jordan Ryan sprung the Glenthorn offside trap and fired past Pakie Cassidy in the Glenthorn goal for a 1-0 lead. But, the home side were passing the ball really well and levelled soon afterwards, when Ian Cotters inswinging free kick was headed into the bottom corner by Sean O Connor. And the home side went ahead after 15 minutes, when Corkbeg gave possession away cheaply in their own half and man of the match Ian Cotter fired a missile from 25 yards into the top corner via a post for a 2-1 lead. Cotters delivery from free kicks & corners was a feature of the opening half, as time and time again, he put Corkbeg under severe pressure with testing balls. Corkbeg responded and Pakie Cassidy produced a stunning point blank stop from Ian Caseys volley, following a great delivery from Aidan Cotter. But on 25 minutes, it was 2-2. Cassidy needlessly elbowed Alan Horgan into the head in the penalty area and a penalty was awarded to Corkbeg, though inexplicably no red card. Ian Casey converted from the spot and the game was finely poised at 2-2. Glenthorn remained on the front foot for the remainder of the first period, but it was Corkbeg who came closest to leading at the break as once again Cassidy produced at top drawer stop to keep out Dylan Caseys volley from 18 yards.

Glenthorn kept the pressure up in the second period and although Corkbeg worked extremely hard, it was the home team who looked the more likely to score. Typically, it was Corkbeg who went ahead again. A Glenthorn attack broke down and Dylan Casey threaded a great ball through to Dylan O Neill, who lifted the ball over the advancing Cassidy for a 3-2 lead. But soon afterwards, this topsy-turvy game swung again. Once again, it was Cotters brilliant delivery from the right and Neil Greaney headed into the top corner from 8 yards to restore parity at 3-3. There looked only one winner from here, as the home side drove forward at every opportunity & brought on all their subs to inject fresh legs into the attack. Corkbeg were trying to put out fires everywhere, with Ian Casey, Dean Keegan & Tommy Smyth all playing well. Ian Cotter fired another free kick against the Corkbeg post and soon afterwards, the pressure finally told, when Glenthorn went ahead. Lively winger Shane Duggan skipped to the by-line and whipped a ball across goal to Jason Creamer and though his shot looked to be heading wide, the ball struck Corkbegs Dean Keegan and trundled over the line for what proved to be the winner with 15 minutes left. The home side looked comfortable for the remainder of the game, with Jordan Ryans speculative shot from 25 yards that was comfortably saved by Cassidy being Corkbegs only meaningful attempt at goal. A deserved win for the Ballyvolane side, who were sharper & hungrier than Corkbeg on the day.

Team: P. O Reilly, T. Smyth, F. Wenham, D. Keegan, C. Horgan, I. Casey, A. Cotter, J. Ryan, A. Horgan, D. O Neill, D. Casey. Subs: F. Ahern for Wenham(60mins), M, Asyckyk for Cotter(75mins), J. Maguire for D. Casey(80mins).