Corkbeg FC

Corkbeg Defeat Title Favourites

Stephen O Halloran got Corkbegs opener

Stephen O Halloran got Corkbegs opener

Corkbeg produced a hard-working & disciplined performance on Saturday afternoon in Whitegate when they handed City Wanderers their first league defeat of the season in AULDiv2A. It was a super rearguard action for the second 45 minutes that ultimately grabbed a fine win for Corkbeg by two goals to one and it’s a result that breathes new life into Corkbegs promotion push, following 3 great wins in only 6 days.

However, Corkbeg could have found themselves behind after only two minutes, when a low ball into the Corkbeg area was headed home at the back post, but the goal was correctly chalked off for offside. It was the scare that Corkbeg needed and for the remainder of the half, they took the game to their previously undefeated opponents. Corkbeg were full of running and never allowed the city side to settle. Dylan Casey, Jordan Ryan & Alan Horgan were all lively, buzzing around the Wanderers backline & forcing rushed clearances or corners. And Corkbeg had the first real opportunity to score, when Dylan O Neill took control of a long ball, but saw his clever lob beat Wanderers keeper Tom Maguire, but not the side netting. Ian Casey & Aidan Cotter were in sparkling form in midfield for the Beg, winning headers & breaking a lot of ball to keep Corkbeg on the front foot. Corkbeg got the breakthrough after 25 minutes. Stephen O Halloran whipped in a vicious inswinging corner from the left hand side and the ball evaded everybody; flying into the top corner to give Corkbeg the lead. And Corkbeg doubled their lead only 5 minutes later. The ball bounced around the edge of the Wanderers area and fell for Dylan O Neill, who produced a brilliant finish to the bottom corner from 20 yards. Before long, it was 2-1, as Eric Marah got in behind the Corkbeg defence and finished low to the bottom corner to bring the city side back into the game. But Corkbeg should have added another goal before the break, as Ian Caseys back post header rolled across the 6 yard box begging for a finishing touch that never came.

Wanderers showed in the second half just why they were unbeaten up to this point. They dominated the second half and came raiding at the Corkbeg defence time after time after time, with Shane Finn in particular involved in a lot of their best work. And Eric Marah looked their best bet to grab an equaliser, as twice he skimmed the Corkbeg crossbar with close range free-kicks; the second one somehow cleared the bar when his strike from 25 yards looked destined for the top corner. He also had a shot saved as he cut in from a narrow angle and another strike from the Wanderers right winger from the edge of the box was also saved, with the follow-up finding the side-netting. But, Corkbeg were working incredibly hard and kept clear-cut chances to a minimum. Dean Keegan & Colin Horgan blocked everything that came their way and Fred Wenham & Alan Horgan restricted any crosses from the flanks. It was dogged, stubborn defending and it was effective to keep the city side at bay. Wanderers final ball was also poor and as time ran out, they forced a number of corner kicks & free kicks around the Corkbeg area. But, no clear opening would come, Corkbeg held firm and eventually grabbed a massive three points to maintain their position at the top of the AULDiv2A table.

Team: P. O Reilly, A. Horgan, F. Wenham, D. Keegan, C. Horgan, I. Casey, A. Cotter, J. Ryan, S. O Halloran, D. Casey, D. O Neill. Subs: C. O Driscoll for D. Casey(70mins), R. Roberts for O Halloran(85mins)