Corkbeg FC

Corkbeg Bounce Back With Win In Fairhill

Robin Ward scored Corkbegs first goal

Corkbeg got back to winning ways in AULDiv1 with a 4-2 win over Cathedral Celtic on an overcast Tuesday evening in the Fair Field. The win was nothing more than Corkbeg deserved on the night, despite fatigue showing after 4 games in nine days.


Corkbeg might have taken an early lead, but Tariq Tynan miskicked at the back post from Dylan O Neills cross. But only ten minutes were on the clock, when the home side went ahead. A long ball down the middle caught Corkbeg wide open and the Cathedral striker shot low past Corkbeg goalkeeper Eric Higgins, who almost kept it out. Corkbeg continued to threaten though and Tariq Tynan had a shot saved, while Ryan Forde just failed to turn in the rebound. Robin Ward, Shane Bennett & Tariq Tynan were all on top form for Corkbeg and on the half hour, all the good work finally brought Corkbeg level.


There was nothing on when Robin Ward took the ball from Dylan O Neill, but he let fly from 30 yards and the ball flew into the top corner to bring Corkbeg level at 1-1. Soon afterwards, Shane Bennett had a low shot saved and Tariq Tynan turned the rebound against the outside of the post. Corkbeg went ahead for the first time on 40 minutes, when Ryan Forde played a brilliant cross-field ball between the goalkeeper & defenders and Tariq Tynan rose highest to head home. Slack marking at the back let Cathedral in for another good opportunity, but this time Eric Higgins stood tall to make a great block. But in first half injury time, Cathedral were level. Aided by a strong wind and a fantastic delivery, the ball flew into the top corner direct from a corner-kick and it was 2-2 at the break.


Corkbeg continued to dominate in the second period and before long, they took the lead again. It had a small bit of good fortune about it, as a clearance from a Cathedral defender hit his own man and played in Stephen O Halloran, who finished low to the bottom corner to give the Beg a 3-2 lead. Then on 65 minutes, Corkbeg went into a two goal lead. Shane Bennett delivered a free kick that looked slightly overhit, but Dylan O Neill did brilliantly to not only reach the ball, but turn it goalwards; a combination of goalkeeper & crossbar kept the ball out, but Tariq Tynan was on hand to finish the loose ball from 8 yards to make it 4-2. Both sides had further chances before the end. Corkbeg should have increased their lead, but both Robin Ward & Shane Bennett wasted really good chances when clear through on goal, while Eric Higgins made a fine stop to deny Cathedral with 5 minutes remaining, which might have set up an unlikely grandstand finish. Right at the end, Alan Creedon almost marked his first appearance for Corkbeg since the mid 2000’s with a goal, but he shot narrowly wide, as Corkbeg ran out comfortable winners.


Team: E. Higgins, A. Horgan, L. O Brien, T. Smyth, S. O Halloran, R. Ward, S. Bennett, D. O Neill, R. Forde, T. Tynan, J. Tynan. Subs: D. O Mahony for Forde (70mins), J. Ryan for D. O Neill (80mins), A. Creedon for L. O Brien(85mins)