Corkbeg FC

Corkbeg Beaten On Rainy Evening in Cork City

Alan Horgan got Corkbegs goal

Corkbeg were beaten 2-1 by  title challengers Cathedral Celtic at a wet and windy Fairfield on Tuesday evening. Both sides served up a tough, entertaining game on an evening that was not ideal for good football, on a pitch that was quite heavy from the recent bad weather.


Both sides hadn’t played much football recently, due to the incredible stint of bad weather since Christmas, but both sides tried their best to play decent football. Cathedral were the better team in the opening half and kept Corkbeg on the back foot. But it was a really hard-working and dogged display from Corkbeg and even though the away side were starved of possession, they didn’t cough up too many clear openings for Cathedral. Larry Betts in midfield  was the northsiders best player on the night and he came closest to scoring in the opening half, but his goalbound header from a corner was tipped over the crossbar. Betts was dangerous from set-pieces all night. Cathedral also saw a clever flicked-header come back off the outside of the post. Stephen O Halloran, who was brilliant alongside Ian Casey at the heart of Corkbegs defence, also produced two great blocks to prevent certain goals. Other than that, Corkbeg were well organised and buoyed by good performances from Alan Horgan & Mick Collins, the game remained scoreless at half time.


As the dull evening got darker, Cathedral continued to press at the beginning of the second half, but as before, Corkbeg dealt with any attacks pretty comfortably. But, on the hour, Cathedral took the lead with a big slice of good fortune. A corner wasn’t properly cleared in the Corkbeg area and after a bit of head-shoulder tennis, Larry Betts climbed highest to plant his header into the net, via a big deflection off Corkbegs Dylan O Neill. Strangely, Cathedral went to sleep after this and Corkbeg could and should have gone two goals up. Shortly after the Cathedral goal, Stephen O Halloran got on the end of Alan Horgans free kick and headed inches wide. Then, Ian Caseys goalbound header was brilliantly pushed away by Cathedrals goalkeeper, with Corkbeg substitute Ryan Forde volleying the rebound inches wide from 6 yards. But there were two better chances; both fell to Jordan Ryan, both came from good work from Dylan Casey & Ryan Forde (twice). But unfortunately, Jordan failed to hit the target on both occasions and Cathedrals lead stayed intact. Cathedral threatened at the other end and substitute Ian Shellard fired wide twice when well positioned, while at the other end, a thumping free-kick from fully thirty yards was brilliantly pushed away by Cathedrals goalkeeper.


Cathedral finally killed the game in the 92nd minute and it was a brilliant move. Betts was involved again and produced a pin-point centre to Brian Montgomery who slid home what proved to be the winner. With the final kick of the game, Alan Horgan scored an absolute beauty from an acute angle to give Corkbeg a consolation goal that their performance deserved. But it was too late and Cathedral grabbed the three points, despite a hard-working and disciplined performance by Corkbeg.


Corkbeg: P. O Reilly, A. Horgan, M. Collins, I. Casey, S. O Halloran, D. Casey, D. O Neill, R. Fletcher, C. O Driscoll, J. Ryan, F. Wenham. Subs: R. Forde & T. Smyth for Wenham & O Driscoll(65mins), O. Mombo for R. Fletcher(70mins)