Corkbeg FC

Corkbeg Beaten By Title Favorites

Jordan Tynan scored Corkbegs first goal

Corkbeg were beaten 3-2 by title favourites Glen Celtic in AULDiv1 on a sunny Saturday afternoon in Whitegate. The city side are worthy of their tag as the team to beat this season in Div 1, as they produced an excellent display to grab the three points, despite a second half revival by Corkbeg.


Glen took it to Corkbeg from the off and played much the better in the opening exchanges. And they took the lead after a few minutes, when John Corcorans 20 yard free kick found the bottom corner for an early lead. And soon afterwards, they could have had a second, when a header at the back post went just wide. Corkbeg did have possession and plenty of crossing opportunities but the Celtic defenders closed quickly and clear cut chances were hard to create. Glens second goal came after 20 minutes. A long clearance from their goalkeeper was flicked on and William Corcoran outbattled two Corkbeg defenders to win the ball and slot home.


The second half saw a better display from the Beg, but with great pace & good passing moves, Celtic were always dangerous. It was nip and tuck for a while, but Glen Celtic got the all important 3rd goal to ultimately kill the game off, when Gary Nolan, who was a livewire all day, beat the offside trap and rounded Corkbeg goalkeeper Eric Higgins, before slotting in from tight angle. However, things changed quickly, when a quick throw from Eric Higgins to Jordan Tynan on the left wing, put him clear through on goal and he was felled by a challenge by William Corcoran, which saw Glen Celtic reduced to ten men.


Corkbeg showed a bit more composure at this point, didn’t panic and kept trying to play ball from the back out and waited for the space to appear. Robin Ward, Jordan Tynan and Tariq Tynan took the game by the scruff of the neck and led the revival. A free kick from outside the box was dispatched to the top corner by Jordan Tynan with 15 minutes left to give Corkbeg some hope. Again, the Beg plugged away, but Gary Nolan was a constant threat for Celtic and they created a few half chances that were well saved by Eric Higgins.  Then, with 8 minutes left, Alan Horgan took charge and brought the ball out from the back. Shane Bennett beat the offside trap and showed great composure to double back and beat the keeper twice before slotting home and suddenly, it was 3-2.  However, Corkbeg never fashioned a clear cut chance to equalise for the remainder of the game, as both teams cancelled each other out and Glen Celtic left Whitegate with a well earned three points in their back pocket.