Corkbeg FC

Corkbeg Advance To St Michaels Semi-Final

Shane Bennett scored Corkbegs winning goal

Corkbeg advanced to the semi-final of the St Michaels Cup with a hard fought 1-0 win over Dunbar Celtic in Whitegate on a bitterly cold Saturday afternoon. There was nothing between two well matched sides over the 90 minutes, but Corkbeg did just about enough to shade it on the day.

Dunbar settled quicker than Corkbeg and were the better side for the first 20 minutes. Liam Hewitt & Ross Hickey were lively up front and both Dean Linehan & Chris Dineen were on top in midfield. Chances were at a minimum though, as both teams began to cancel each other out. However, Corkbeg grew into the game and Cein O Driscoll looked like Corkbegs best chance of an opening goal, with numerous raids down the left hand side. On the half hour, Jordan Ryan shot disappointingly wide when a good scoring opportunity finally appeared for Corkbeg and Michael Collins shot wide soon afterwards. But, it was Dunbar who came closest to scoring in the opening period, when Ross Hickeys low shot was brilliantly saved with his legs by Corkbeg goalkeeper Eric Higgins after 35 minutes.

The second half was similar to the first. Both teams continued to cancel each other out and the play was scrappy. Defences were well on top, with Aidan Cotter putting in a man of the match performance at centre back for Corkbeg, but being ably assisted by both Ian Casey and Stephen O Halloran. Shane Bennett and Jordan Ryan were dangerous for Corkbeg, but Dane Holland was rock solid at the back for Dunbar. The games defining moment came on 65 minutes, when Jordan Ryan burst through the centre of the Dunbar defence and when he was tackled, the ball ran kindly for Shane Bennett, who calmly rounded Dunbar goalkeeper Timmy O Shea and slotted the ball home. Hickey almost responded for Dunbar immediately, but Eric Higgins touched his rising shot over the crossbar. Corkbeg looked comfortable at 1-0 and were constantly on the front foot, but couldn’t trouble O Shea again. With ten minutes left, a huge chance for Dunbar, when Ross Hickey sprung the offside trap and ran through on goal; his shot was low, but Eric Higgins once again produced a top drawer save with his legs to keep Corkbeg ahead. Dunbar huffed and puffed after this chance, but created nothing as clear-cut, while Cein O Driscoll should have added a second for Corkbeg as time ran out. But, there was no more scoring and Corkbeg advanced to the semi final after a tough battle.

Corkbeg: E. Higgins, A. Horgan, I. Casey, C. Horgan, A. Cotter, S. O Halloran, S. Bennett, D. O Neill, C. O Driscoll, J. Ryan, M. Collins. Subs: D. Casey for Collins(45mins), D. O Driscoll for O Neill(80mins)

Dunbar: T. O Shea, Forde, G. Corcoran, D. Holland, S. Hannigan, D. Linehan, D. Gorman, C. Dineen, R. Hickey, L. Hewitt, N. Holland. Subs: G. Harte, G. Fitzgerald, C. O Mahony, G. Cambridge, D. Lennon