Corkbeg FC

Corkbeg Advance In St Michaels Cup

Ian Casey heads Corkbegs opening goal

Corkbeg advanced to the next round of the St Michaels Cup with a hard fought 3-2 win over an excellent Fairview side in Whitegate on a blustery Saturday afternoon. Both sides were well matched throughout the 90 minutes, but Corkbeg will feel that it was a deserved victory following an end to end affair.
Fairview were first to threaten and Corkbeg goalkeeper Eric Higgins produced a fine block at his front post to keep out a rising strike from the Fairview striker after only two minutes. From the resulting corner, another fine strike came back off the crossbar. Both sides were passing the ball well and Stephen O Halloran had an excellent shot from 25 yards brilliantly pushed over by Fairview keeper Seamus Miller. But, Corkbeg were first to break the deadlock, when O Hallorans corner was headed to the roof of the net by Ian Casey after 12 minutes. But, Fairview responded immediately and were level on 15 minutes, when their striker Paul Coveney slotted home from close range after a mistake at the back. And then a let-off for Corkbeg, as the Northsiders were awarded a penalty after 18 minutes, but Eric Higgins produced another fine save to keep out Ken Kearneys penalty. Corkbeg lifted their game again, with Dylan Casey, Dylan O Neill, Jordan Ryan and Shane Bennett heavily involved and retook the lead on 25 minutes, when Jordan Ryan took advantage of a kind ricochet at the back to slot past Miller for a 2-1 lead. And it was 3-1 on the half hour, when another poor defensive clearance was volleyed to the net by Shane Bennett from 12 yards.
Fairview responded in the second half and drew a couple of routine saves from Eric Higgins. There was one moment of worry for the Beg on the hour, when Kearney got on the end of a long clearance, but again, Higgins produced a fine block to keep Corkbegs two goal lead intact. But, it was game on again on 65 minutes, as Fairview were awarded their second penalty of the afternoon. It looked pretty dubious to say the least, but Gavin Duggan blasted home from the spot to make it 3-2. But a Fairview onslaught never really materialised. Corkbeg were fairly comfortable, despite lots of Fairview pressure and apart from one header, that was taken off the line by Dylan Casey, they never really tested Eric Higgins again. Good defensive performances from Ian Casey, Tom Smyth & Alan Horgan and Aidan Cotter in midfield, were keeping Fairview at bay, but it wasn’t all one-way traffic. Fairview keeper Seamus Miller produced another good save low down to deny Jordan Ryan with 10 minutes left and close to the end, both substitute Damien O Driscoll and Jordan Ryan wasted glorious chances to make the game safe for Corkbeg. But we got there in the end.
Team: E. Higgins, M. Collins, T. Smyth, I. Casey, A. Horgan, A. Cotter, S. O Halloran, D. Casey, D. O Neill, S. Bennett, J. Ryan. Sub: D. O Driscoll for M. Collins(45mins)