Corkbeg FC

Corkbeg Advance In St Michaels Cup

Robin Ward scored the only goal of the game

Corkbeg advanced to the next round of the St Michaels Cup with a hard fought 1-0 victory in extra time against Donoughmore Athletic in Whitegate on Saturday afternoon. The win was well deserved in the end, as despite a few nervy moments near the end of the game, Corkbeg were the better side throughout.


Overall, it was a scrappy game. A swirling wind in Whitegate made good football tough, with a lot of misplaced passes and over-hit balls the order of the afternoon. Neither side were at their best, but Corkbeg looked to be the team always on the front foot. Donoughmore were the earliest to settle and they drew an early save from Corkbeg goalkeeper Michael Leahy, while another effort from the edge of the area flew inches wide of the top corner. But, it was Corkbeg who dominated the remainder of the first half. The home side did have one glorious chance in that period, when Alan Hogan shot disappointingly wide from 6 yards after a mix-up at the back for Donoughmore. Hogan also drew a fine save from the Donoughmore goalkeeper down to his left., while Tariq Tynan & Jordan Ryan had close range shots blocked by a well organised defence.


The second half continued in the same way. Corkbeg always looked the more likely to make the breakthrough, but found it hard to break down the Donoughmore back line. But there were many fine performances from the men in blue, with Aaron Berry, Robin Ward & Alan Hogan all heavily involved. There weren’t any major clear openings in the second half, with neither goalkeeper forced to make a decent save and despite a lot of hard work by everybody, it was ultimately both defences that were on top. The game petered out into a goalless draw, which meant 20 minutes of extra time.


Donoughmore should have taken the lead inside the opening 5 minutes of extra time. In a rare foray into the Corkbeg penalty area, they won a corner and when the corner wasn’t cleared, one o the Donoughmore players shot over the crossbar from a yard out. And within two minutes, Corkbeg scored the winning goal. Substitute Ryan Forde delivered a sensational 40 yard through-ball for Robin Ward, who drilled past the  Donoughmore goalkeeper for the lead goal. Jordan Ryan also shot narrowly over the crossbar soon afterwards. Towards the end of extra time, Donoughmore threw caution to the wind and had two great opportunities to level matters in the final three minutes, but both efforts cleared the Corkbeg crossbar and Corkbeg advanced to the next round.


Team: M. Leahy, A. Creedon, A. Berry, T. Smyth, A. Horgan, S. Bennett, R. Ward, J. Ryan, D. O Mahony, T. Tynan, A. Hogan Subs: R. Forde for A. Creedon(70mins), C. O Driscoll, D. Creedon, L. O Brien, K. Ryan